Saturday, May 29, 2010

Solar Cells

I got a Brunton Solaris 12 from Leon today. It's a flexible solar array made with CIGS cells that puts out 12W (15.4V @800mA). Coincidentally, I was checking out the 26W version on Amazon today.

I bought an DC/AC inverter from Costco a few years ago. If I can locate it, I'm going to try out the panel to see how much power it puts out. 12W should be enough to charge cell phones and iPods. I checked my netbook's AC adapter and it outputs 12V @3.0A so the 12W cells probably won't be able to power the computer but it should charge the batteries at 1/3 the rate. Brunton also makes a large 56W solar array that can power regular notebooks but it's pretty expensive.

==========

Leon mentioned this to me before... the Brunton solar arrays are actually made by Global Solar. Here's the 12W solar charger.

No comments: