Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Disappearing Act

Hmm, a lot of people I am friends with at work may no longer be there soon. It started two years ago when one person quit then came back as a contractor, but now may be headed to Taiwan. Another friend quit last year out of disgust due to work politics.

Now:
- another person is seriously thinking about taking a job in Asia
- one person is so bored/frustrated with their job transfer that they've been looking outside for several months
- someone just told me that they got "demoted" and their new boss said they can leave if they're not satisfied
- finally, another person is taking a LOA but should be back in several months

An organization and its culture will shift over time but I feel that there has been a lot of changes in finance, especially within the past 3-4 years. Almost all the senior level people (CEO, VP, Senior Directors) are gone... many did not quit voluntarily.

Sigh... it will be a sad day when everyone left are those that you only say hi to in the hallway.

==========

Oops, forgot one more. All the people above are in finance where I work. A friend from high school and UCLA was hired as a principle engineer a few years ago from Conexant. He basically worked 60+ hours per week non-stop for 18 months and finally quit in 2008. When I talk to him now, he is still bitter at the experience.

I guess I'll be eating lunch by myself everyday soon.

No comments: