Sunday, January 11, 2009

YouTube Symphony Orchestra

I stumbled onto this page on YouTube.



I downloaded the Trumpet 1 part and tried to follow along with the performance. I guess you get used to a certain conductor. For the past three years, I've been playing in the Irvine Valley College WInd Symphony conducted by Steve Rochford. I had trouble following Tan Dun's conducting in the video, especially through the allegro portions. The key signature for trumpets is pretty ugly too with 5 #'s. The trumpet solo in the beginning sounded nice though; maybe I'll just practice that part. There are Trumpet 2 & 3 parts as well. The notes are a bit lower but the rhythm is mostly the same.



Try to follow along. Once you get lost, it's pretty difficult to get back on sync. There was a symbol at the beginning of the video. Not sure if it was No Talking or No Snoring. Usually trumpet parts have a lot of measures of rest and it's a challenge just to count them all. Here's a video of Song Hye Kyo (Korean actress) promoting the online audition.



It's in English, really. OK, obviously her English is better than my Korean, and probably better than my Mandarin.

No comments: