Thursday, September 27, 2012

Mountain Lion on MBA

Can resist... must update software...

I just finished updating my MBA to Mountain Lion (10.8.2) at work. I started the update (4GB download) then found out that I left the power adapter at home. I had ~3.5 hours remaining so I thought it should be safe.

The update appears to have installed correctly and everything still works. It even appeared to fix the crappy wifi connection problem at work. We'll see if it's better at home too.

When I bought my Mac mini several years ago, there was no Broadcom parts inside; Apple must have been rotating suppliers. The 2012 MBA has lots of Broadcom parts:

- Bluetooth
- USB (BCM20702)
- Wi-Fi (BCM43xx)

Too bad I'm not working there anymore... not that 3 chips will help much. From the Bluetooth connection data, both my iPhone4 and iPad2 contains a Broadcom Bluetooth chip while the external mouse has an Infinion chip.

==========

Well, it looks like the wifi problem was software. After upgrading to Mountain Lion yesterday, I was able to connect to work wifi within 5 seconds. With 10.7.4 and 10.7.5, it would take multiple attempts and errors to connect.

No comments: