Sunday, September 23, 2012

Apple System Updates

All three of my Apple devices need a system update. The brand new MacBook Air still has OS X 10.7.4, and both my iPhone4 and iPad2 are running iOS 5. I did receive a code for a free Mountain Lion update but online reviews have been mixed, even for version 10.8.2. As for iOS 6, I heard that Apple was a bit premature with replacing Google Maps with its own version. I use Google Maps a lot so I'm going to hold off updating my iOS devices.

When I was young, I would jump on any and all system updates. Now that I have experiencing with bricking (is that a word?) several computers and other equipment, none which are jail-broken, I'm hesitant about updating right away. I don't have the time (or energy) to spend days rebuilding a system due to update malfunctions.

I think I'll go drink a few beers and try the OS X 10.8 update.

==========

Heh. Right after I posted the above and quit out of Chrome, I see an Apple software update notice window pop up, asking me to download Lion 10.7.5 (1.23 GB) and a firmware update. Right down the system is downloading the update software. I seriously hope the firmware update won't brick my new MBA. Maybe I'll hold off on Mountain Lion...

No comments: