Thursday, July 31, 2008

Terracotta Warriors

I was flipping channels and came across a promo for the Bowers Museum in Santa Ana. They currently have an exhibition of the Terra Cotta Warriors from China. It's supposed to be the largest exhibition of the clay warriors outside of China. During my trips to China, I've only been to Chengdu and Sanya, not counting the transit stops in Hong Kong. Since most of the trips are "business" for PMI, I haven't done any touristy stuff. Even though Xian, where the original tomb was found, is not that far from Chengdu, I'm not sure when I'll get to visit. Since they brought the warriors here, I'll probably drive 10 minutes up the freeway and check out the exhibition.


Picture of the Terracotta Warriors my parents took on the trip to China last year

Coincidentally, I just watched Three Kingdoms: Resurrection of the Dragon online, starring Andy Lau, Sammo Hung, and Maggie Q. The movie is set during the Three Kingdoms period of Chinese History, from 220 AD to 280 AD. The Terracotta Army was built ~500 years earlier by 秦始皇 (Qin Shi Huang), the First Emperor of China. The Qin Dynasty didn't last that long, from 221 BC to 206 BC, and was followed by the Han Dynasty from 206 BC to 220 AD. Most of the Chinese history classes I took in college was focused on the modern period, beginning with the Republic of China in 1912. I'll need to find some books and learn more about the other ~5000 years of history.

No comments: