Friday, July 4, 2008

GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome

I just agreed to buy a bass head from an ad on Craigslist. I tried out my 3 piece solution (mixer, active DI, and Carvin power amp) but it's too complicated to set up. I saw a SWR 350X for $300 and a few emails later, I'm going down to Mission Viejo to check it out Sunday. It only puts out 240W at 8 ohms but should be enough for my Eden cab; it's only rated for 250W anyway. It take up 2U on a rack so I can take the Carvin amp out of my case and replace it with this amp. It should be lighter too at only 17 lbs. Now I need to figure out what to do with my 1000W Carvin amp. Since my Sony ES home stereo amp is busted, I can plug everything (tuner, CD player, tape deck) into my small Tapco mixer and drive my Infinity speakers with the Carvin.

All together, I've spent ~$1000 on my new bass setup, all of it bought from Craigslist ads. I still need to replace the 1/4" jack on the 5-string bass since it's loose but that's only $5.

No comments: