Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Earthquake!

I was just about to go out to pick up some lunch when a moderate earthquake hit. I think it lasted about 20 seconds and stuff shook on my desk but nothing fell over. I was standing in the middle of the room and ended up not doing anything, i.e., stand under a doorway or crawl under a table.

The earthquake measured 5.4 and the epicenter was near Chino Hills. That's much closer to my old house in Brea. I experienced a 4.7 that was centered near Yorba Linda and it felt pretty big; I'm sure this earthquake was much scarier up close. NewSong is setting up our new church site in Brea and there's stuff everywhere in the warehouse space. I hope no one was on the rented scissor-lift during the quake.


Main quake plus a swarm of small aftershocks

Just about every local TV station is covering the earthquake. I saw a press conference at Caltech/USGS with a geologist and the reporters are asking the most retarded questions (paraphrasing):
Q: Uh, so if the earthquake was centered near downtown Los Angeles, would there be more damage?
A: Maybe

No comments: