Monday, August 29, 2011

Free Money

Well, kind of. When I sold off all my employee options from old work last month, I left some barely-in-the-money options un-exercised in case there was a sudden run up in stock price. Well, with the debt ceiling mess, S&P downgrade, and Steve Job's retirement, the stock price has dropped significantly over the last month. For many days, my remaining options were underwater, reminding me that my greed didn't pay off. Since these options expire in about 3 weeks, I can't wait forever for the stock to rebound.



Anyway, the stock was up a bit today so earlier this morning I exercised the remaining options; they were only $1.85 in the money. If I had exercised all my options together, I would have got ~$4.50/share for these... but $1.85 is much better than zero and I'm tired of checking stock quotes everyday. I still have some more employee options but they've been underwater for months so I'm not expecting to cash out before the expiration date.

To my primary anonymous reader, I'll buy you lunch with some of this free money when you get back from Sverige. After that, maybe I'll buy a TV with the leftovers. ========== As expected, as soon as I sell stock, the price goes up. Oh well, last week it was worth $0.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Surf and Turf at the Charthouse.....
high-end sushi......
or just ramen noodles......
Popeye's Fried Chicken......

not to push things too much. any hand-me-down TVs for us when you get a new one?