Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Chinese Bigfoot

One of the more popular TV stations in China is Hunan TV (Chinese website). When I was sick in Chengdu this past March, I spent a lot of time watching TV. There were a lot of CCTV stations as well as Sichuan and Chengdu stations but their shows were lame. It was either news programs, historical dramas, or movies of brave Communist troops fighting the evil Japanese and/or Nationalists. Yawn.

The shows on Hunan TV were more interesting. They had lots of variety shows and dubbed Korean dramas; I watched many episodes of Famous Princesses in Chinese. Hunan TV also hosted the Super Girl/Happy Girl competition.

Anyway, using software from TVU Networks, I can watch a lot of Chinese channels streaming from the web, including Hunan TV with only about a 30 second delay. I was talking to my friend in Chengdu today and she told me to turn to Hunan TV. They're showing a "documentary" about this guy claiming to see a 2m hairy human-like animal running around in the mountain forest... basically a Chinese Bigfoot. She kept asking me, "Do you think it's real?" I tell her it's probably fake since we have lots of stories about Bigfoot, Sasquatch, Yeti, and other wild humanoids here in the US and none of it has been verified. I don't think she believes me.

No comments: