Sunday, August 17, 2008

Snooker, Darts, and Dog Shows

NBC just showed a women's cycling pursuit final where the UK won both the gold and silver. Out of the 25 medals they've won so far, 10 have been in track cycling. The commentator said that the UK invested $5M into the cycling program and it's starting to pay off in international competition wins. Then he said something like, "If only snooker, darts, and dog shows were Olympic events." That's pretty funny. I wonder if it was ad-libbed or if he was reading it off the TelePrompTer.

I've watched darts competition on TV. Those guys are usually quite large and have a beer gut from hanging out in pubs playing darts. They're pretty amazing with their accuracy but not sure if we can consider them world-class athletes.


World-class athlete


Not

2 comments:

Lisanne624 said...

Hello! I read your post, and I have to disagree. I didn't think the "snooker" comment was funny at all. First of all, I was stunned that the achievements of any country other than the US would even merit a mention. But no sooner had Lampley (apparently) praised the Brits for their prowess in cycling than he had to come back with a totally unnecessary and belittling comment. How rude! I guess his mama didn't teach him that if he can't say anything nice, he should keep his yob shut! :)

totochi said...

Actually, I thought it was a pretty snide remark coming right after his comment about the UK's success in cycling. The part that I thought was "funny" was the reference to dog shows; I've seen the Westminster Kennel Club dog show on TV before and it was the most ridiculous "competition."

Not sure about snooker but I think the IOC should make darts an Olympic competition. I think it takes more talent than the pistol/rifle shooting contests.