Tuesday, September 7, 2010

2010 Asia Trip, Beijing Day #1 Afternoon

I feel kinda lame. This is the 2nd time on this trip that I ate KFC in China. I couldn't find anything else between my hotel and the subway station so I got a fish sandwich and some fries. There is a Walmart in the other direction so maybe they have a food court. I checked out the Sogo department store; typically they have food in the basement but here they only had some sit down restaurants which looked expensive, and a Subway sandwich place.

I went back to sleep after breakfast and got up around noon. My friend had to work today so I thought I'd take the subway to the CCTV building and take some photos. My hotel is near the junction of subway lines 2 and 4 so I walked towards Xuanwumen station.


As I mentioned above, there is a Sogo department on the way. The neighborhood outside the department store is a bit rundown but inside, there are lots of luxury brands. The contrast is a bit disorienting.


Entrance to the Xuanwumen station. I think this is a newly constructed entrance since it has escalators up and down.

The subway was pretty crowded. To get to the CCTV building, I had to take subway line 2, transfer to line 1 (the oldest and non-AC line), then transfer to line 10. I ended up not taking line 10 but walked the several blocks from line 1.


Subway map. There's a few stations added since I was here last year.


Station display on a line 2 car. Line 2 follows a circular route so you have to make sure you're traveling in the right direction.

Getting out at Guomao station, I followed the 3rd Ring Road north. It wasn't hard to miss the new CCTV building.


The building was pretty impressive even from a few blocks away.


Less impressive was the building next door that caught fire due to illegal fireworks a couple of years ago.


Closer view of the "big underpants" as the locals call it. I thought it was open for use already but the building was surrounded by a tall wall that make it look like a construction site. Maybe they're fixing the burnt building.

Public transportation is cheap and convenient but takes forever to get anywhere. I was tired from going half-way across town just to take a few photos so I returned to my hotel. Since I didn't have lunch, I picked up something at the KFC downstairs.


KFC... there were lots of other stuff than fried chicken on the menu, including lots of desserts. I had to ask for fries to be included in my combo... the default is some kind of corn salad thing.


On the way back to the hotel, I saw a huge banner hanging on the hotel building. I'm not sure what it's for but Hennessy is a brand of cognac. Did they sponsor a concert? I recognize Sammi Cheng (HK singer and actress) and Seo In Young (K-pop singer that used to be a member of Jewelry).

The cleaning staff just knocked on the door asking to clean the room... while I'm still in here. I told them to come back in an hour but she told me to contact the front desk instead. Not sure why she can't come back later on her own.

No comments: