Monday, May 7, 2012

GigaPan

I found this cool website where people upload huge photos that have been stitched together from lots of small photos. Each resulting montage can have gigapixel sized images. The website is hosting these photos so they can advertise/sell these auto-stepping camera mounts that simplifies the task of taking hundreds or thousands of photos required to make a stitched photo.

I want to try this at Imperial Hill using my camera. The only issue is that planes are always taking off and landing at LAX and any movement through the FOV will cause problems when stitching the images together. I guess I'll have to shoot fast. I'm thinking I can get 15 across and 3 down for 45 photos. If there's 33% overlap, then I'll have 15 x 3 x 2/3 x 16.7MP or a ~500MP photo when I'm done.

No comments: