Friday, October 15, 2010

Vibrant Software Upgrade

I got a notice on my phone for a software upgrade. It took ~5 minutes and the phone seems to work okay. While it was upgrading, I read a few posts on the T-Mobile forum and people were complaining about the phone bricking after the upgrade. There are also a lot of complaints about the battery life post upgrade. I was already getting sucky battery life so hopefully it won't make it worse.

Model number: SGH-T959
Firmware version: 2.1-update1
Baseband version: T959UVJI6
Kernel version: 2.6.29
Build number: ECLAIR.UVJI6

The fix was mainly for GPS. I read that a lot of people had issues with the GPS functionality on the Samsung. My experience was 50/50... sometimes it would take minutes to acquire the GPS signal (or not at all), but other times it seemed okay. It always performed worse than the GPS on my Blackberry Curve. Now the GPS locks on in seconds, even indoors.

The other thing that was supposed to get fixed by this update was access to Samsung's Media Hub software. It allows you to buy/rent movies and TV shows. I just ran the app and it seems to work.

Now if they will just release Android OS v2.2 (Froyo) for my phone.

No comments: