Thursday, December 27, 2007

American Airlines Delays

Even though I just got Platinum status for AAdvantage this year, I've never actually flown American Airlines before. The bulk of my miles are from Cathay Pacific (LAX-HKG-CTU) and some from Alaska Airlines (SNA-PDX).

Anyhow, I went to Canada to visit my parents for Christmas. Since I'm flying out of SNA, there are no direct flights to Toronto. Out of the 4 flights I was on (2 each way), 3 were delayed for a total of over 4 hours. On the way back tonight, the flight from Toronto to Chicago didn't pull up to the gate until after the original departure time. By the time we got going, the plane needed to be de-iced which took 15 minutes. Next we needed to get a landing slot time from Chicago and that took another 15 minutes. Originally the flight was scheduled for 4:30pm but we didn't get off the ground until almost 6:00pm. I could have taken the next scheduled flight to Chicago at 5:30pm and got there earlier.

I was getting nervous sitting on the plane since my layover was only 90 minutes and we had used up all that time with delays in Toronto. It didn't help that I was on a tiny plane (Embraer ERJ145) and the window seat got really really cold during the flight. Somehow, the pilot got us to Chicago 30 minutes early though I only had <25 minutes to run across terminal 3. It turned out that the Chicago-Santa Ana flight was late boarding so I didn't miss my flight... I didn't get my 1st class upgrade though :(

I've been flying to Asia quite a bit in the past 2 years on Cathay Pacific, Singapore, Thai Airways, and EVA Air. Other than the lost luggage in August, I have not had any issues. Flying domestic on United, American, and Alaska, I run into flight delays and cancellations all the time. Also, all the female flight attendants on the Asian airlines are uniformly young and cute. The same cannot be said of domestic airlines.


American Eagle Embraer ERJ145

No comments: