Thursday, December 1, 2005

The Circle of Life

I went to the USC MBA Career Resource Center this morning to interview 2nd year MBA students for job openings at our company. 11 years ago, I was in the same situation except I was the one looking for a job as a student. The business school has since moved to a newer building but the process of meeting people one-on-one for an interview remains the same. Most of the CRC staff are different too but I did meet Jean, the receptionist from back in 1995; she is now the budgeting person for CRC and she recognized me right away. I guess it's true that as you get older, time seems to be move faster. It doesn't feel like 10 years has gone by since I graduated from USC.

We had 12 interviews scheduled today at USC. I took the morning six while my manager came during lunch to interview the remining six. Meanwhile, another colleague was at UCLA interviews MBA candidates as well. After driving almost 2 hours to get to USC, it was hard to concentrate on the interview process. I usually have a few questions in mind but I encourage the candidate to treat the interview as more of a conversation. All the interviews went pretty well; the 12 people were weeded from about 30 resumes that were submitted. However, I had to quickly scribble notes between interviews in case I start forgetting who said what.

No comments: