Sunday, September 21, 2008

Chengdu Trip #6 - Chengdu Day 1

I guess the Olympics pollution control worked since the air in Beijing was pretty good. Arriving in Chengdu yesterday afternoon, I noticed the air quality is really bad. In fact, my nose and sinus starting burning as soon as I stepped off the plane; I'm somewhat happy that I'm only here for 3 days this time.

I didn't do too much the first day in Chengdu. I took a nap and went to dinner with my friend at a sizzling steak place. My steak was pretty good but her T-bone steak was a bit tough. At the next table were two mom and their sons... the kids were totally out of control. It was pretty much like that at each table with kids. I think the "Little Emperor" syndrome is going to be a problem in China's future as an entire generation of spoiled kids become adults.


Pedestrian shopping area near Zhongfu Road. It felt like there was more neon this time.


Statue of Dr. Sun Yat-sen in the middle of the pedestrian shopping area. Both Taiwan and PRC recognize him as the father of modern China as he led the overthrow of the Qing Dynasty in 1911. I wonder what he would think of communist China today.


After dinner we went to Haggen Das for ice cream. They actually have a very nice sit down place right behind Dr. Sun's statue. The prices are pretty expensive though. This is the first time I've been to Haggen Das in Chengdu even though this is my sixth trip. The ice cream specialty above was RMB79 or about $12. Actually, the only reason we're here is because my friend has two RMB100 gift certificates. Otherwise we'd probably just get a popsicle at the market.


We also ordered a Tiramisu (RMB28) in order to use up one of the gift certificates. It was surprisingly good. You probably would pay $4 in the US for a good dessert after dinner.

No comments: