Friday, October 19, 2007

USC MBA Interviews

Out of the 15 resumes we received, the list was narrowed down to 8 and I ended interviewing all of them yesterday. Out of the 8, I decided to call 3 of them back for 2nd round interviews where they will talk with 6 more people. I've been doing this for about 3-4 years now and it still is hard to choose candidates. I've been asked to go back to USC for three more events. It's a long drive from Irvine but I get $40 in mileage reimbursement each time... :)

While I was in school, I used to hate my classmates that would have multiple offers already, yet still interview with the same companies that I signed up for, effectively blocking me (and others) out of job offers. Of course, I didn't interview that well; I probably did all the things I tell people not to do when they interview. We knew that during an interview, it's not what you know but how you interact with the recruiter. At the time, I thought that was lame. Give me a computer and I'll show you the Excel models I built! Boy, was I stupid.

I often joke with my interview buddy, another senior finance manager with a MBA from USC, that we probably would not get any jobs at Broadcom if we interviewed today.

No comments: