Saturday, April 22, 2006

Wannabe Musician

So Tascam finally released a FW-1082 driver for Intel Macs and I just got a version of Cubase LE that works with the latest OS X.


Tascam FW-1082

I installed the new software and connected the FireWire cable to the Mac instead of the PC and everything worked! I still can't get the MIDI keyboard to work on the PC so now I don't have to worry about that anymore; everything is connected to the Mac Mini.

I attached a Shure BG3.0 microphone and my guitar to two inputs and recorded myself playing and singing. The Tascam/Cubase setup has either 24 audio channels or 8 audio/8 MIDI channels as default; maybe I'll add a bass track and importing some drum loops from GarageBand. I was surprised that everything worked on the first try although I sounded pretty bad. I'll try inserting a reverb effect on the vocals and EQ-ing both channels to see if I sound any better. I guess I'll need to stick with the finance thing as my day job for now. :)

For some reason, I can only get two inputs to work. I think I still need to upgrade the RAM from 512MB to 1GB which should also help everything run faster. I still need to try out boot camp to see if the 1.62 GHz Core Duo CPU runs Windows faster than the 1.6GHz Pentium M in my Dell D-410. Maybe I need to go to 2GB... you can never have too much memory.

2 comments:

leon chiu said...

"you can never have too much memory"

that's what made the Kingston guys rich.

totochi said...

Yeah... although I've never personally bought any Kingston memory. I'm too cheap; I always go with the generic stuff.