Thursday, March 24, 2005

I thought my car had ABS

On the way to work today, I almost got into an accident. Driving south on I-5 near Culver, I see this black Honda Civic weaving in and out of traffic. I was in the second lane from the right and suddenly he swerves across two lanes and tries to pass to my right; I'm already going 70+ mph. Unfortunately, a car was just pulling on to the freeway ahead of him so instead of slowing down, this maniac cuts right in front of me (by now going slower than me). If I didn't slam on the brakes (risking being rear-ended by a minivan behind me), I definitely would have hit the Civic. When I hit the brakes though, I felt my front wheels lock and the ABS never kicked in. I know it has ABS since it has "worked" before. Anyway, I guess the guy didn't appreciate me honking my horn and flashing my lights since he started blocking me for the next several exits; he would slow down (to 40 mph at one point) then accelerate and cut me off again when I tried to pass him. The crazy thing is that I was driving the 4Runner and the guy was in a Civic. If I would have bumped him by accident, he's toast. Even worse, it just rained a little bit 5 minutes ago so the freeway was still wet... crazy!

I keep forgetting that I have a camera on my Treo... should have took some pictures.

No comments: