Wednesday, October 29, 2008

US/Canada Hotels

Having traveled in Asia often during the past two years, I noticed that in China and Taiwan, even cheap hotels have free Internet connection and free breakfast. Sure, some of the breakfast buffets are pretty lame but most have porridge and pastries. Even the RMB220 (~US$30) rooms at Jinghu Hotel in Chengdu has hot breakfast, though the rooms themselves are not too great.

I am staying at a Sheraton here in Toronto/Richmond Hill and even though the room costs ~C$200, I had to pay an extra C$8 for a broadband Internet connection in my room. I think I paid a bit extra for a king sized bed and those rooms come with a continental breakfast. I don't think the other rooms include breakfast. In Singapore, I stayed at the Shangri-La hotel which was ~US$270/night, and they charged ~US$10 for the Internet connection; at least the breakfast was good. Maybe they figure if you can afford the $200-$300 room, you can pay some more for breakfast and Internet.

1 comment:

Darryl said...

The trick is to stay at the same chain - then you usually get coupons for the free breakfasts. :)