Saturday, May 25, 2013

Cheaper to buy a CD?

Example 1:

The Katinas - Lifestyle

This is an older CD released in 2002. I like a few songs on the CD and wanted to buy the entire album. There are 15 songs total and iTunes Store is selling each song at $0.99 or you can buy the entire CD for $9.99. Since I refuse to buy any more songs from Apple with its ridiculous AAC + DRM format, I checked Amazon but they don't offer MP3. However, I did find a "new" physical CD for $1.32 + $3.99 shipping so I ordered that instead and waited a few days for it to arrive in the mail.

Example 2:

David Crowder - All This For A King

David Crowder just released a new compilation album with 14 tracks. iTunes Store is selling each song for $1.29 and the entire album for $11.99. Amazon MP3 Store is also selling each song for $1.29 but the entire album is $11.49. A brand new real CD is only $8.89.

Why? It doesn't make sense at all. Surely it costs more to manufacture a CD than to copy a file. I can understand getting a cheap deal for a "previously owned" CD but why is it true for a brand new album? It's only slight more convenient to buy MP3's directly; it only took me 10 minutes to rip the CD in iTunes and I have a physical CD as back up in case my computer crashes. I guess there is still a benefit if you just want one or two songs; maybe no one buys the less popular songs anyway.

No comments: