Saturday, August 19, 2006

Slow Mac mini

I finally got tired of my slow Mac mini. Launching programs and switching between applications is incredibly slow. Even my old Compaq 1.0 GHz Pentium III with only 256 MB of RAM runs faster.

It has the 1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo processor but only 512 MB of RAM. I've been reading that the slowness is due to memory shortage and a slow hard drive so I ordered two 1 GB memory modules. I'm hoping that giving it 2 GB of RAM will minimize the frequency of virtual memory swapping so the slow hard drive won't affect performance too much. Of course, that brings the cost of the Mac mini >$1,000.

==========

Oh, to get the Mac mini case open, I need to go to Home Depot (or Lowes) to get a very thin putty knife. Apple decided not to use screws to hold the Mac mini together but rather 15(?) plastic tabs that are next to impossible to open without breaking. Sigh... I remember having to buy special tools to crack open my Mac Plus almost 20 years ago to add memory (from 1 MB to 2.5 MB!).

No comments: