Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Joystick

It was really really hot this past weekend so I ended up sitting in front of the air conditioner all weekend. With nothing else better to do, I re-read three novels by Michael Stackpole based on the BattleTech universe. It took me about 12 hours to read all three books.

In addition to the novels, I also bought a lot of MechWarrior PC games during the past 10 years. I used to play them on my old PCs with a Microsoft Sidewinder joystick but now everything connects via USB ports. After reading the stories, I felt like blowing things up with lasers and missiles so I went to Fry's on Sunday and picked up a Logitech Extreme 3D joystick for $30.



Even though the game was six years old, I managed to install MechWarrior 4: Vengeance on my work computer running XP Professional. So far, it seems to run okay except the missions are more difficult than I remembered; I keep getting killed even on the easiest level. I thought I finished the game when I first bought it. Hmm, I'm going to blame it on the faster computer or new joystick... but it's probably old age.

3 comments:

closetmusician said...

man, i've quit trying to play video games now that they're gotten so hard and i suck so bad. i could barely finish v1 of rise of nations on the easy setting! i don't even want to try age of empires now.

Anonymous said...

Uhh, "nothing better to do"? You got a phone?! Call me, fool!

Darryl said...

We interrupt this blog for a message from your Corporate IT group:
"No video games on work computers!!!"

Just kidding. I think I sacrificed 48 hours to Age of Empires - thank god I only had the trial version that stopped after Level 3, or who knows what would've happened after that.