Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Shangri-La?

It's now 11;27am and I'm at our office in Singapore now. I did manage to get some breakfast before our van ride to work although I did have trouble with the hostess since my reservation is still messed up.

==========

It�s now 3:30am in Singapore and I�ve been sleeping since I arrived here last night at 7:00pm. The Singapore flight was on time and I think I was one of the first people out of the immigration line. Broadcom sent someone to pick me up; it�s the first time that I had someone holding up a sign with my name on it at the airport. The drive told me that he�s been picking up Broadcom people for the past three days. The car was the previous generation Mercedes-Benz E-Class and at first I thought it was a special car with right-hand drive. Pretty soon I realized that they drive on the left side of the road in Singapore, the same as in England. The driver told me that Singapore was previously a British colony (I knew that) and that�s why they drive on the left. I didn�t tell him that I was Canadian and that we drove on the right, like Americans.

Anyway, after about 20 minutes, we arrived at the Shangri-La hotel. Like my flight reservations, my hotel reservation in Singapore is all messed up as well. I received an email from our Singapore office saying that they�re overbooked and had to change my hotel room to a room in the service apartment. I got to the counter, showed my passport, and they said that my reservation was cancelled. Well, they first said that the hotel was full and offered to move me to another hotel 10 minutes away. I said that I needed to be picked up and dropped off at Shangri-La each day and unless they�re willing to drive me back and forth to the other hotel, I need to stay here. After I kept asking who cancelled my reservation and showing them my confirmation email, they offered me to stay one night at the service apartment and then move me back to the main hotel tomorrow. This is a hassle since I have to pack my bags this morning so they can transfer me to my new room tonight but I guess it�s better than nothing. The girl that walked me over to my room said that the hotel was really full because of some trade show but also people decided to stay extra nights so the new people coming in are running into problems.

The service apartment is essentially a one-bedroom apartment with a kitchen. The room is really nice but does not have 110V three-prong outlets or an Internet connection. I know their regular rooms in the hotel have both. I also haven�t eaten anything since the Singapore flight. I was just too tired to deal with calling room service (I don�t think they deliver to the service apartments anyway) or going to the restaurants in the main hotel. Hopefully I can get some breakfast at Broadcom later.

No comments: