Friday, January 3, 2020

Yacht Crew Cabins

Following up on my superyacht post, I've noticed that some yachts have tiny crew quarters that are accessible from the back of the boat. I understand space is at a premium but some of the crew spaces are ridiculously small. If I was working on a yacht full-time, I would want to get on the biggest ship possible so the accommodations are more reasonable.

Looking at floor plans for Princess Yachts. it seems like 50' yachts do not have crew cabins while anything over 55' has something in the back. The 60-70' yachts seem to have two beds for crew. So is that the cutoff? I think the 50' boats are a couple of $ million. Can you afford crew if all you can afford is a smallish yacht? Or are people in 50-70' yachts hiring only part-time? If I owned a smallish yacht, I'd probably just learn to drive it myself.

Princess F50 - no crew accomodations


Princess F55 - one crew bed


Princess R62 - two crew beds


Princess Y78 - three crew beds



Aquaholic tour of the Princess Y78. He mentioned that this is probably the upper limit for not hiring a crew. I guess you have three more guest beds if you don't hire a crew. He also says this boat costs about £3 million which is ~$4 million.

No comments: